Tuesday 7 June 2011

Personal Recipe: Meatball Subs with Tangy Slaw

I hadn't eaten a meatball sub since my glory-gluten days, and then two weeks ago, I decided that I would likely only get to eat a meatball sub if I made it myself. I didn't look for any recipes, I figured it was a pretty intuitive dish to make. I've seen people make meatballs and it always seems like a big event, with lots of complicated steps like soaking pieces of bread in milk, and grating parmesan (which I never keep in the fridge anyways). Here's my take on super quick, easy, delicious, and nutritious meatball subs!

1 lb ground beef (I prefer organic, and grass fed)
1 egg (free-range, organic, and local)
1/2 cup parsley (finely chopped)
1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
1 glove garlic, finely diced into teeny tiny pieces
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 tbs garlic salt
1 tbs nutritional yeast flakes (in lieu of the parm...but its still optional)
1 jar marinara sauce (I used Classico Tomato and Basil...it was on sale)
1 tbs chilli paste (optional, I just like a little bite in my marinara)
Sliced provolone cheese (optional)
Gluten free breads of somesort--I used Origin's baguette. Next time I'll use Kinnikinnick hot dog buns as they're slightly more cost efficient.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Sweat the onions in a skillet with butter, or olive oil, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Add the parsley and garlic and stir well. Remove from heat and let cool a bit.  In a mixing bowl, combine the meat, egg, quinoa flakes, and garlic salt. Next, add in the onion mix and mix well. With your hands, roll the meat into balls the size of your choice, and place them in a greased, oven safe dish. Cook for roughly 45 minutes.
Once the meatballs are cooked through, add them back into the same skillet you've already used for cooking onions, and add the marinara sauce and chilli paste and simmer on medium-low heat. Serve on gluten-free bread with provolone.

Tangy Slaw
1/2 bag of shredded cabbage mix
2 green onions. chopped
Dressing: 2tbs olive oil, 1 tbs apple cider vinegar, 1 tbs honey, 1/2 tbs dijon mustard, salt, pepper. Mix well, toss with the cabbage. Serve on the side.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good enough to eat in a really messy way!

    Origin also has hot dog buns, a bit cheaper ($1.50 vs. $3.50 for the baguette) and also a bit softer crust.

    I also like adding some breadcrumbs to the meatball mix for the extra nom nom nom texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd also suggest Udi's breads - you can get them at save-on foods and the hotdog buns don't fall apart the way other gluten free breads do.

    ReplyDelete