Sunday 19 June 2011

Personal Story: The Worst Gluten-Poisoning We Fear the Most

Thursday will go down in history as literally, and quite possibly, the worst day I've ever had. Aside from struggling that morning to take a very difficult exam, and being notified my August Sociology class got cancelled (potentially disrupting my funding), I was super starving, and the University Centre cafeteria was closed because of convocation events (this is usually where I grab some fruit and yogurt). I went to the Biblio Cafe once I finished my exam, and decided to try their gluten-free bagel with lox and cream cheese, called the West Coast Classic.

I asked the cashier for the gluten-free bagel, I paid him, and I sat down to enjoy my first food of the day.
I knew I only wanted half of the bagel, so I separated the top from the bottom, and started eating.
I was so amazed at how good this bagel tasted, and it felt so good to eat something so delicious. I kept eating, marveling at the fluffy and chewy texture. I thought "Holy crap, they're getting really good at making gluten-free stuff now!!"

I was almost done my first half; only two bites left really, and I got a horrible feeling that something was not right. I wrapped up the bagel and brought it back to the cashier. I asked him if he gave me a gluten-free bagel...he replied "Oh...no...I didn't, sorry."
My eyes started to well-up with tears in the crowded cafe, I promptly left and started full-on crying once I got out the door. I knew I was in for total gut-hell...but for how long?? I mean, I've gotten sick from cross-contamination (think...a single bread crumb can make me sick)--what was going to happen to me after eating HALF A BAGEL?!?! I called my friend and she tried to console me while I waited for the nausea to set in. After about 10 minutes, I was super nauseous, and I called my dad to take me to the doctor to see if there was anything that could be done....once at the doctor's office, Mr. M.d. told me essentially there is nothing I can do, and that I can expect to feel really sick for about 3-4 days.

Today is Sunday--so far the easiest day post-gluten. Yesterday, however, was horrible. Every day was horrible actually. I'm making Borscht today to last me for the next few days while I give my tummy a rest and just eat really simple soups. I'm hoping to eat a really good, big meal on Thursday, but we'll see.

Lesson of the day kids: If it tastes too good to be gluten-free...it could be that it isn't actually gluten-free after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment