Monday 27 June 2011

Special: Gluten-free Summer Favorites



I love how summertime brings out a completely different side of me--my appetite and food cravings shift from the rib-sticking comfort food of the colder months, to an endless search for new recipes and products to make summer just a little bit yummier each year. I don't like cooking much in the summer, indeed, I eat a huge variety of different salads like Belgium Endive with Roasted Pears and Roquefort, or Baby Beet Salad with Fennel and Walnuts. I'm pretty much obsessed with delicious and creative salads in the summer. Also, I adore anything that's been grilled on the BBQ, be it Ponzu Chicken Wings paired with cold Vermicelli and Grilled Baby Bokchoy, or Korean Red Pork Tenderloin with a chilled Brown Rice Cilantro Pilaf with Snow Peas.  These are just a few of my favorite summer dinners. In celebration of summer, I've compiled a list to share of my favorite products and ingredients to make every hour of summer delicious!

1) "So Delicious Coconut Milk Minis" in either Vanilla, Chocolate Almond, or Fudge. These little treats are vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free. They're a perfect light dessert to help cool you down on hot summer days, while adding a different nutritional profile to your diet. I'm addicted.

2) "Annie's Naturals Organic BBQ Sauce" This is a perfect gluten-free condiment to keep in your fridge. Unlike many other BBQ sauces out there that are super thick and processed, this brand really does deliver a great product. Simply baste on your meat in the last 5 minutes of grilling for an uber satisfying treat.

3) Fresh Herbs. If you have a little patio or window sill, I highly suggest investing in a boxed herb garden. Or create your own using materials from your local gardening store. My favorite herbs to grow are chives, basil, thyme, and my FAVORITE, flat leaf Italian parsley. Fresh herbs offer a welcomed hit of flavor to quick salads or marinades--I also like to add them to rice or quinoa during cooking to add another dimension of flavor.

4) Coconut Water. Another addiction of mine...a rather expensive addiction to say the least. But, in my opinion, nothing refreshes quite like it! If you haven't tried coconut water before, it may or may not take some getting used to. It's light (like water), but oddly really smooth (like gin, right out of the freezer). It's only slightly sweet and has a unique flavor I can't really describe without using the words "kinda coconutty, but not exactly" Regardless, pick some up. I love the brand "Taste Nirvana Natural Coconut Water with Aloe". It's packed with nutrients and low in calories. Drink up.

5) Watermelon. This is the cure-all. It's ultra cooling on a hot day, and it's packed in vitamins and nutrients--plus, it's mostly just water, therefore super hydrating. In fact, I ate half a watermelon yesterday and felt terrific afterwards. Good stuff.

6) Iced Coffee. Another daily staple for me, and simple to make. The night before, I brew a big pot of coffee, add a touch of Agave syrup or Honey, stir, and let cool on the counter for about an hour before transferring it to a pitcher and chilling it in the fridge overnight. The next day, add a couple ice cubes and a splash of soy milk and you've got yourself a perfect afternoon pickmeup.

7) "Origin's Bakery Baguettes" These carby sensations are essential to keep on hand. They freeze really well so don't be afraid to pick up a couple extra to store for an impromptu dinner party. They also defrost quickly! I adore these baguettes for creating delicious tasting platters when friends come over--try them with a Sage and White bean Hummus, Garlic Tapenade, Brie and Apple Canapes, or as a base for sampling different cured meats like  Spicy Soppressata and Porcuitto, or even get creative by making homemade vegetarian pates made from walnuts or pumpkin seeds! And remember, everything goes well with Sangria!

No comments:

Post a Comment