Sunday 22 May 2011

'Out-of-town-dining-around' Restaurant Review: RauDZ Restaurant (1560 Water St Kelowna, BC)

What I ate: 'Baked' fish and chips, 'Ultimate Greens' salad with hazelnuts, apple and chevre, vanilla pear creme brulee
When in Kelowna last month, my aunt and uncle came for a surprise visit to my gramma's house where I was staying and enjoying Ukrainian food, three meals a day. My aunt and uncle wanted to take everyone out for dinner, and had made a reservation for my whole family to go. First off, I was nervous. I seldom go to restaurants in unfamiliar cities without first doing my own research. RauDZ restaurant restored my faith in eating out.
Their menu frequently changes to ensure the use of seasonal, fresh, and local ingredients (thumbs up!)
They offered the table the drink specials-- loganberry martini, or pear martini. Members of my family ordered these and I sampled a tiny sip from their glasses...mindblowing delicious.
I started with the salad...it was perfect. My dad ordered a Cesar salad and he devoured it. (that's usually a good sign)
Next, I had some 'baked' fish and chips. The batter for the fish is actually made of chickpea flour, and was totally gluten free. It was served with baked 'chips' as well. RauDZ has a special oven, or so they said, where it makes things extra crispy without deep-frying. Whatever they do, it works well!!
This particular main was served with tartar sauce, and their special blackberry ketchup for the chips. It was awesome!!
The creme brulee was a special treat--I have a mild dairy sensitivity and I don't indulge too often in creamy confections...however, this one was worth the tiny stomach gurgles. Likely the best creme brulee I've ever had--and the poached pear pieces at the bottom were a nice touch of texture and added flavor to the dessert
I highly recommend this place if you're in Kelowna, and you happen to be craving fish and chips, which is typically something difficult to find gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment