Sunday 22 May 2011

Restaurant Review: West Coast Waffles (1235 Broad Street, Victoria BC)


Have you ever walked down Johnson Street and passed Market Square only to have your nostrils assaulted by a sweet unnamed aroma? Sure you have. That delightful smell comes from a waffle joint called Wanna Waffle, and they want you to come in and enjoy their Belgian goodies. But wait...you go inside...and to your horror you see that there are NO GLUTEN-FREE OPTIONS! Nadda. Zip. Zilch. You, disheartened and hungry leave Wanna Waffle and have a moment of self-pity and wheaty-resentment. Why you?? Why must you be so denied?!

Maybe this exact story hasn't happened to you...but it's happened to me. I lived it. I was just dying on the inside for a fluffy waffle topped with sweetness, but my gluten allergy has oppressed me once again.

Enter WESTCOAST WAFFLES!
This unassuming storefront across from Serious Coffee on Broad Street caught my eye one day...I mostly just liked their little logo of a bright yellow sun surrounded by shades of green and blue. Is this where I could seek my Wanna Waffle consumer revenge? Is sure was.
Now, I have enjoyed WCWs a number of times now...but I haven't tried everything on the menu just yet. It is worth noting that WCW has a special system for accommodating gluten allergies: they have a separate waffle iron, separate spatulas, and a tank of buckwheat batter that is always covered to avoid cross contamination. This sort of special care deserves recognition.
The waffles are amazing: fluffy and moist, flavourful and filling. I felt really lucky to have such wonderful food in my belly.
My two favorite Waffles:
The Blueberry Walnut served with whipped cream and maple syrup.
The Johnny Mac: apple, bacon, fresh basil and broiled brie topped with maple syrup and served with a little salad.


[Images courtesy of West Coast Waffles Facebook page]

1 comment:

  1. I've known I'm celiac just over a year now and just found your blog. This waffle post has made me beyond happy, I know where I'm going for breakfast next weekend!

    ReplyDelete